FAIRCHILD C-123K "PROVIDER"
The "Provider" was a short-range assault transport used to airlift troops and cargo onto short runways and unprepared airstrips. Designed by the Chase Aircraft Company, the C-123 evolved from earlier designs for large assault gliders. The first prototype XC-123 made its initial flight on 14 October 1949, powered by two piston engines. A second prototype was built as the XG-20 glider. It was later test-flown, powered by four jet engines. The production version, with two piston engines, was designated the C-123B. Chase began manufacture in 1953, but the production contract was transferred to Fairchild. The first of more than 300 Fairchild-built C-123Bs entered service in July 1955. Between 1966 and 1969, 184 C-123Bs were converted to C-123Ks by adding two J85 jet engines for improved performance.
The C-123 on display entered service in February 1956, serving at various units all over the world, and most notably it arrived in Vietnam in August 1966. There it served with several units and many locations until its return to the United States in July 1970. This combat veteran continued to serve until April 1982 when it was retired. It was flown to Robins AFB in 1988.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided worldwide logistics support and management of all USAF C-123s during their service life.
|Museum of Aviation GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway Warner Robins, GA 31088 (478) 926-6870|