McDONNELL DOUGLAS F-4C "PHANTOM II"
First flown in May 1958, the Phantom II originally was developed for U.S. Navy fleet defense and entered service in 1961. The USAF evaluated it for close air support, interdiction and counter-air operations and, in 1962, approved a USAF version. The USAF's Phantom II, designated the F-4C, made its first flight on 27 May 1963. Production deliveries began in November 1963. In its air-to-ground role the F-4 could carry twice the normal bomb load of a WWII B-17. USAF F-4s also flew reconnaissance and "Wild Weasel" anti-aircraft missile suppression missions. Phantom II production ended in 1979 after more than 5,000 had been built—more than 2,600 for the USAF.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center managed the communications, fire control, air-to-air missiles, gun and electronic warfare systems for all the USAF F-4s. The F-4C on display was delivered to the USAF and the 12th Tactical Fighter Wing at MacDill AFB, Florida in May 1964. In April 1966 it deployed with the 12th to Cam Rahn Bay AB, Vietnam until December 1969 when it returned to the United States. It continued to serve with various stateside units until its retirement from the 163rd Tactical Fighter Group (ANG), March AFB, California in May 1967 and flown here to Robins AFB for display.
|Museum of Aviation GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway Warner Robins, GA 31088 (478) 926-6870|