REPUBLIC F-84F "THUNDERSTREAK"
The swept-wing F-84F evolved from the straight-wing F-84. The prototype first flew on 3 June 1950 and deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the Tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter.
Republic built 2,112 "-Fs" while General Motors fabricated an additional 599. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NNATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F, totaled 718 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. The RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose.
The F-84Fs were gradually replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were turned over to the Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs were called back to temporary USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin Crisis.
In the 1950s more than 1,200 F-84F and RF-84F aircraft were winterized in the maintenance shops at Robins AFB in preparation for ferry flights to Europe under Project High Flight. The F-84F on display was delivered to USAF in January 1956 and served with various units in the United States, and was finally retired from the 104th Tactical Fighter Group (ANG) at Barnes Field, Westfield, Massachusetts in August 1971. It was moved to the Museum in 1988.
|Museum of Aviation GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway Warner Robins, GA 31088 (478) 926-6870|