MARTIN RB-57A "CANBERRA"
The B-57 was the U.S. version of the English Electric “Canberra” which first flew in Britain on 13 May 1949 and was later produced for the Royal Air Force. The first Martin-produced USAF B-57 made its initial flight on 20 July 1953. By the time production was completed in 1959, a total of 403 planes had been built for the USAF, 67 of which were RB-57As designed for night photo reconnaissance and day combat mapping.
The B-57 made its first combat debut in Vietnam where the tactical version of the airplane was used for low-level bombing and strafing attacks against ground targets. In place of aerial cameras and photo-flash bombs of the reconnaissance version, the tactical version was equipped with four 20mm cannons or eight .50 cal. machine guns, plus high-explosive bombs and rockets.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided B-57 depot and logistics support to the fleet during its active service. The unarmed reconnaissance-type Canberra on display was acquired from the US Army Proving Grounds in Aberdeen, Maryland in 1983. Its last duty station was with the 190th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Air National Guard at Forbes ANGB, Kansas before it was retired to Aberdeen in 1972.
|Museum of Aviation GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway Warner Robins, GA 31088 (478) 926-6870|