McDONNELL RF-101C "VOODOO"

McDonnell RF-101C "Voodoo" The F-101 lineage included several versions:  low-altitude fighter-bomber, photo-reconnaissance, two-seat interceptor and transition trainer.  To accelerate production, no prototypes were built, and the first Voodoo, and F-101A, made its initial flight on 29 September 1954.  When production ended in March 1961, nearly 800 Voodoos had been built.  Development of the unarmed RF-101, the world’s first supersonic photo-recon aircraft, began in 1956.  While 35 RF-101As and 166 RF-101Cs were produced, many earlier single-seat Voodoos were converted to reconnaissance configuration.

Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided logistics management of the communications, fire control and bomb navigation systems in all F-101 aircraft worldwide.  The RF-101C on display was delivered to the USAF in July 1958 and assigned to the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Loan AB, France.  It served at various units in Europe and the US before being retired from the 186th Tactical Reconnaissance Group (ANG) at Key Field, Meridian, Mississippi in October 1978.  It was transferred to the Museum in 1992.

This aircraft is marked as an aircraft assigned to the Chinese Nationalist Air Force (CNAF) and is dedicated to pilots who flew the Voodoos delivered to Taiwan in 1959 under Project Boom-Town.  The four aircraft, flown by NCAF pilots, allegedly conducted reconnaissance missions over International waters off the coast of the Chinese mainland, but in fact, penetrated deeply into Chinese airspace.  RF-101s operated successfully over the Chinese mainland for several years before operational attrition ended the operation.

 

SPECIFICATIONS:
Span 39 feet 8 inches
Length 69 feet 3 inches
Height 18 feet
Weight 51,100 lbs max
Armament Un-armed
Engines Two Pratt & Whitney J57s of 15,000 lbs thrust each with afterburner
Cost $1,276,245
Serial Number 65-229
   
PERFORMANCE  
Maximum speed 1,000 mph
Cruising speed 550 mph
Range 2,060 miles
Service ceiling 45,800 feet

 

 

 Museum of Aviation       GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway      Warner Robins, GA 31088       (478) 926-6870