NORTH AMERICAN T-39A "SABRELINER"
The T-39 was developed by North American Aviation, Inc. as a private venture to meet a USAF requirement for a twin-jet utility trainer. The prototype T-39 made its first flight on 16 September 1958. In January 1959, the USAF placed a production order and on 30 June 1960, the first production T-39A made its initial flight. In all, 143 T-39As and 6 T-39Bs were built for the USAF; another 62 T-39 variants were produced for the Navy. After the bulk of military contracts had been met, the Sabreliner entered the commercial market where it became a highly successful executive jet transport.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center supported the communication and navigational systems in the T-39 during its USAF service. The Sabreliner on display was delivered to the USAF in February 1963 and assigned to the 2848th Air Base Wing at Norton AFB, California. It later served with several units in Europe and was retired from the 1402nd Military Airlift Squadron at Maxwell AFB, Alabama in May 1985 and flown to the Museum for display.
|Museum of Aviation GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway Warner Robins, GA 31088 (478) 926-6870|