The C-124 evolved from the earlier Douglas C-74. To facilitate cargo handling, the C-124, or “Old Shakey” as it was affectionately known, featured “clamshell” loading doors and hydraulic ramps in the nose and an elevator under the aft fuselage. It was capable of handling such bulky cargo as tanks, field guns, bulldozers, and trucks. It also could be converted into a transport capable of carrying 200 fully equipped soldiers in its double-decked cabin.

The first flight by a C-124 took place on 27 November 1949 and deliveries of C-124As began in May 1950. The USAF bought 448 C-124s before production ended in 1955. These planes performed such missions as airlift support in the Far East and Southeast Asia, resupply mission in Antarctica, refugee evacuation in the Congo and mercy flights throughout the world following floods and other natural disasters.

The C-124 on display entered USAF service in February 1952 and served with units on the west coast until it retired in August 1971. The Museum acquired the aircraft in 1986. Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided both logistics and management support of the C-124 fleet.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Span: 174 ft. 1 in.
Length: 130 ft.
Height: 48 ft. 4 in.
Weight: 216,000 lbs. max.
Armament: None
Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-4360s of 3,800 hp. ea.
Cost: $1,646,000
Serial Number: 51-089

PERFORMANCE:
Maximum speed: 320 mph.
Cruising speed: 200 mph.
Range: 2,175 miles
Service ceiling: 34,000 ft.