The PT-19, developed by Fairchild in 1938 to satisfy a military requirement for a rugged monoplane primary trainer, was ordered in quantity production in 1940. In addition to being manufactured by Fairchild during WWII, the Cornell was produced in the US by the Aeronca, Howard and St. Louis Aircraft corporations, and in Canada by Fleet Aircraft Ltd.

Some Cornells were powered by Continental radial engines and designated PT-23s, while others were produced with cockpit canopies and designated PT-26s. Altogether, 7,742 Cornells were manufactured for the AAF, with 4,889 of them being PT-19s. Additional Cornells were supplied to Canada, Norway, Brazil, Ecuador, and Chile.

During WII, Robins AFB served as a repair and supply depot for all PT-19s in the Southeast. The Cornell on display was delivered to the AAF in May 1942 and delivered to the 306th Elementary Flying Training Detachment at the Fred Harmon Training Center, Bruce Field, Ballinger, Texas. It was disposed of as surplus in April 1945 at Capital City Airport, Lansing, Michigan. It was acquired by the Museum in 1986 and flown to Robins AFB for display.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Span: 37 ft. 11 in.
Length: 27 ft. 8 in.
Height: 7 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 2,450 lbs. loaded
Armament: None
Engines: Ranger L-440 of 175 hp.
Serial Number: 42-2802

PERFORMANCE:
Maximum speed: 124 mph.
Cruising speed: 106 mph.
Range: 480 miles
Service ceiling: 16,000 ft.