BY CESSNA

Popularly known in the Air Force as the “Blue Canoe,” the U-3 is the military version of the Cessna 310 light twin-engine transport. The prototype made its first flight on 3 January 1953. Production for the civilian market began in 1954, and in 1957, the USAF selected the aircraft for service as a light administrative liaison, cargo, and utility transport. The Air Force eventually bought 160 of the 310s “off-the-shelf” under the original designation L-27A, later changed to the U-3A. Thirty-five more were delivered in 1960-1961 as U-3Bs all-weather versions with more powerful engines, additional cabin windows, a longer nose and a swept vertical fin.

Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided system management and logistics support to USAF U-3s during their USAF service. The U-3B on display was delivered to the USAF in January 1961 and was assigned to the 3902nd Air Base Wing at Offutt AFB, Nebraska. In January 1974 it was assigned to the Warner Robins Air Materiel Area until August 1977. It was retired from USAF active service in December 1985 at Eglin AFB, Florida and flown to the Museum for display.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
Span: 35 ft. 8 in.
Length: 27 ft.
Height: 10 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 4,830 lbs. max.
Armament: None
Engines: Two Continental O-470-Ms of 240 hp. ea.
Serial Number: 60-6054

PERFORMANCE:
Maximum speed: 238 mph.
Cruising speed: 180 mph.
Range: 900 miles
Service ceiling: 22,000 ft.