UH-1F “Iroquois” Climb-In Exhibit
The UH-1 evolved from a 1955 Army competition for a new utility helicopter. The Army employed it in various roles including that of an armed escort or attack gunship in Vietnam. The USAF, USN, and USMC eventually adopted the model, as did Canada, and West Germany. The initial Army designation was the HU-1, which led to the common unofficially nickname of “Huey.” It was redesignated in 1962 as the UH-1 under a tri-service agreement.
USAF orders for the Huey began in 1963 for the UH-1Fs, intended for support duties at missile sites, and for TH-1Fs for instrument and hoist training and medical evacuation. The HH-1H incorporated a longer fuselage and larger cabin for a crew of two and up to eleven passengers or six litters. The USAF ordered these in 1970 as a local base rescue helicopter to replace the HH-43 “Huskie.” The first of the USAF’s UH-1Ns, a twin-engine utility version capable of cruising on one engine, was obtained in 1970.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provides all logistics and program support for all UH-1s worldwide. Some versions continue to be in service today. The UH-1F on display was delivered to the USAF and the 319th Bombardment Wing (SAC) Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota in May 1967. It served with various units until it was retired and flown to Robins AFB in October 1986.
Rotor diameter: 48 ft.
Length: 57 ft.
Height: 14 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 9,000 lbs. max.
Engines: General Electric T58 of 1,070 shaft hp.
Serial Number: 65-7959
Maximum speed: 140 mph.
Cruising speed: 115 mph.
Range: 330 miles
Service ceiling: 24,830 ft.