The A-26, a follow-up airplane to the A-20 “Havoc,” made its first flight on 10 July 1942. Production delivery began in August 1943, and on 19 November 1944, it went into combat over Europe. It was used for level bombing, ground strafing and rocket attacks. By the time production halted after VJ-Day, 2,502 Invaders had been built.
The A-26 was redesignated the B-26 in 1948. During the Korean conflict, the airplane entered combat once again, this time as a night intruder to harass North Korean supply lines.
Early in the Vietnam conflict, the Invader went into action for the third time. Also the USAF ordered 40 modified B-26Bs having more powerful engines and increased structural strength. Designated the B-26K, the airplanes were designed for specific air warfare missions. In 1966, the B-26K was redesignated the A-26A.
Robins AFB served as a depot repair and supply support facility for A-26s during World War II.
Span: 70 ft.
Length: 51 ft. 3 in.
Height: 18 ft. 3 in.
Weight: 35,000 lbs. loaded
Armament: Highly variable. A-26C had two forward firing .50cal. machine guns and two turrets with two .50cal. machine guns ea. It also carried bombs internally and under wings.
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800s of 2,000 hp. each
Serial Number: 44-35732
Maximum Speed: 73 mph.
Cruising Speed: 284 mph.
Range: 1,400 miles
Service Ceiling: 28,000 ft.