The Boeing B-29 was designated in 1940 as an eventual replacement for the B-17 and B-24. The first one built made its maiden flight on 21 September 1942. In December 1943 it was decided not to use the B-29 in the European Theater, thereby permitting the airplane to be sent to the Pacific area, where its great range made it particularly suited for the long-range over-water flight required to attack the Japanese homeland from bases in China. During the last 2 months of 1944, B-29s began operating against Japan from the islands of Saipan, Guam and Tinian.
With the advent of the conflict in Korea in June 1950, the B-29 was once again thrust into battle. For the next several years it was effectively used for attacking targets in North Korea.
Robins AFB served as a repair facility for B-29s during World War II and after the war a large number of B-29s were put in long-term storage at Robins where they remained until the outbreak of the Korean War when they were returned to service. The Museum’s B-29 was built at the Bell Bomber Plant in Marietta, Georgia. After serving with the Army Air Corps and later the U.S. Air Force, it was retired in 1956 to the Army Proving grounds at Aberdeen, Maryland. It sat derelict until 1983 when it was recovered by the Museum and moved here to Robins AFB. Unfortunately, all service records were lost when it was transferred to the Army.
Span: 141 ft. 3 in.
Length: 99 ft.
Height: 27 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 133,500 lbs. max
Armament: Eight .50-cal. Machine guns in remote-controlled turrets plus two .50-cal. machine guns and one 20mm cannon in tail; 20,000 lbs. of bombs
Engines: Four Wright R-3350s of 2,200 hp. ea.
Serial Number: 44-84053
Maximum speed: 357 mph.
Cruising speed: 220 mph.
Range: 3,700 miles
Service ceiling: 33,600 ft.