C-45G “Expeditor” Undergoing Restoration
The C-45 was the WWII military version of the popular Beechcraft Model 18 commercial light transport. Beech built a total of 4,526 of these aircraft for the Army Air Forces (AAF) between 1939 and 1945 in four versions, the AT-7 “Navigator” navigation trainer, the AT-11 “Kansan” bombing-gunnery trainer, the C-45 “Expeditor” utility transport, and the F-2 for aerial photography and mapping. The AT-7 and AT-11 versions were well-known to WWII navigators and bombardiers, for most of these men received their training in these aircraft. Thousands of AAF pilot cadets were also given advanced training in twin-engine Beech airplanes.
During the 1950s, Beech completely rebuilt 900 C-45s for the Air Force. They received new serial numbers and were designated C-45Gs and C-45Hs, remaining in service until 1963 for administrative and light cargo duties.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provided depot, communication and propeller support for all USAF C-45s until they were retired. The Museum’s C-45 was delivered to the USAF in 1952 and served at various units and locations in the US before being retired in 1960. It was acquired and flown to the Museum in 1986.
Span: 47 ft. 8 in.
Length: 34 ft. 2 in.
Height: 9 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 9,300 lbs. max.
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-985s of 450 hp. ea.
Serial Number: 52-11653
Maximum speed: 219 mph.
Cruising speed: 150 mph.
Range: 1,140 miles
Service ceiling: 18,200