The L-5 was the military version of the commercial Stinson 105 Voyager. The US Army Air Forces (USAAF) purchased six Voyagers in 1941 as YO-54s for testing, and quantity orders for Sentinels began in 1942. Between 1942-1945, the USAAF ordered 3,590 L-5s, making it the second most widely used USAAF liaison aircraft.
The unarmed L-5, with its short field takeoff and landing capability, was used for reconnaissance, front-line aeromedical evacuation, delivering supplies, laying communications wire, spotting enemy targets, personnel transport, rescue and even as a light bomber. In Asia and the Pacific, L-5s remained in service with the U.S. Air Force as late as 1955.
Donated by Mr. Ken Adams of Cartersville, Georgia, the aircraft on display is painted as an L-5 that flew in N. Africa during World War II.
Span: 34 ft.
Length: 24 ft. 1 in.
Height: 8 ft. 11.5 in.
Weight: 2,050 lbs. max.
Engine: Lycoming O-435-1 of 190 hp.
Maximum Speed: 130 mph.
Cruising speed: 90 mph.
Range: 360 miles
Ceiling: 15,600 ft.