The Bell UH-1 is one of the most successful helicopter types in history, with over 16,000 produced worldwide. The UH-1 is also one of the most familiar symbols of the Vietnam War.
The prototype UH-1 first flew in 1956 and went into production for the U.S. Army in 1959. It was the U.S. military’s first turbine-powered helicopter. The initial Army designation was “HU-1,” which led to the common unofficial nickname “Huey.” The designation was changed to UH-1 in 1962 but the nickname stuck.
Deliveries of the first USAF version of the Huey, the UH-1F, began in 1964. UH-1Fs were initially intended to support strategic bomber bases and missile sites but they soon began flying in combat in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War.
The UH-1P on display, serial number 65-7925, was delivered to the USAF in March 1966 as a UH-1F and initially assigned to the Strategic Air Command’s 43rd Bombardment Wing at Little Rock AFB, Arkansas. In July 1966 it was transferred to the 606th Air Commando Squadron, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand. In February 1967 it was transferred to Nha Trang Air Base, South Vietnam, and assigned to the 20th Special Operations Squadron for use in covert operations.
In June 1969, 65-7925 was converted to a UH-1P gunship with twin pintle-mounted 7.62 mm Miniguns and two rocket pods. 65-7925 was shipped back to the U.S. in November 1970 and served with various training and rescue units until it was retired in October 1987. It was shipped to the Museum in 1992.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center provides logistics and program support for UH-1s worldwide.
Rotor diameter: 48 ft.
Overall Length: 57 ft.
Height: 14 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 9,000 lbs. max.
Armament: 7.62 mm Miniguns and 2.75 in. rocket pods
Engine: General Electric T58 of 1,070 shaft hp.
Serial Number: 65-7925
Maximum speed: 140 mph.
Cruising speed: 115 mph.
Range: 330 miles